Saturday, September 19, 2015

Five Unnecessarily Loud People

People who are generally loud irritate me. I don't mean loud as in they talk or laugh loudly. Although that can be pretty irritating too at times, and I will share one instance. But no. What I'm talking about are the people that do every day things at an inappropriate volume.

Let me give you some examples.

1. The girl in the bathroom who just had to let her backpack fall from her shoulder to the floor instead of setting it down and then slammed her stall door shut. Seriously? Even if you are in a hurry, these things can be done quickly and yet at a decent volume. We know you're in the bathroom. You don't need to make an effort to have your presence known.

2. The person in the library studying from a book and still manages to be loud. It's not hard to turn pages quietly. No we're not on the quiet study floor, but we're still in a library. You can make noise, but do you need to run your finger along the page the entire time you're reading before you actually turn to the next one? And obviously you need to take notes. I understand that. But do you need to slam your pencil down every time you need to turn that page so loudly? Do you?

3. The people who don't pick up their feet. I know I am guilty of this sometimes, but I do it a few times then become aware of it and fix it. It may be 7:45am and you're on your way to your 8:00am class. But come on. Wake up enough to pick your feet up an extra half an inch off the ground when you're walking. It's not that hard.

4.  The person on the phone walking through the store. The background music here is not loud, you don't need to try speaking over it. No one around you is talking at a volume louder than what the person next to them can hear. Phones work where you can speak in a regular tone and the person on the other end can hear you just fine. So, please do not include the rest of us shoppers in your drama filled conversation. I don't know anything about you. But I do know that Sarah is "expecting her third child with a third baby-daddy," and that Don (who I'm guessing is your significant other?) just got fired for something you never expected from him and no one should ever hear about. I know all this because you just spent the last hour in the store telling everyone about it.

5. The roommate who can't go in and out with out causing a scene. I understand you got home late and you want to get to bed or you got up early because you want to get some work done before classes. But it is possible to pick up your keys quietly, shut the door cautiously, set your backpack down gently. You are able to open and close doors with making the slightest possible sound that not even the lightest sleeper could hear. These things are possible! I promise. All you have to do is move a little slower and be more conscience of your actions and their volume. Your roommate is sleeping. Respect that. The extra three seconds you spend slowing down to be more cautious and conscientious are not that big of a deal. Calm down, slow down. You got this.

Note: This is not about anyone in particular. These are things I have heard from other people or have experienced myself with different roommates.

Okay, those are some of the loud ones who need to get it together and respect other people around them. Is it really that difficult to do things quietly? I mean really.

Am I alone in this? Or have any of my readers experienced this too? Share your stories with me or add to my list! I'd love to hear/read about it!

Until next time,
Kay

No comments: