Saturday, September 26, 2015

10 Things I'd Tell My Younger Self



As the years go by and I get a little older, I start to think of things I wish I could tell my younger self about life. This post is inspired by my blogging friend Bethany Georgina she wrote a post of ten things she'd tell her younger self. Like she said, when I say my "younger self" I mean about 16 years old. So without further ado, here are my ten things:

1. Embrace your passions.
For those who know me, you know I am good at a lot of things--not great, just good. I have a lot of loves in the world: singing, dancing, piano, violin, writing fiction, writing poetry, reading, helping others, working, etc. I was always worried that I had to choose one thing to do for the rest of my life. Now, at almost 22 years old (less than a month away!), I realize I am capable of doing whatever of those passions I want! I can combine some of them to create a job of my own or find one that I fit into. I can be a writer (which is a package deal with reading) and use that writing to help others or write music. Sure that leaves out dancing, piano, and violin, but I can do those whenever I have free time. So, 16 year old me, you can do anything you want! It's okay. Embrace your passions!

2. Eat it. You know you want to.
I know you think you need to be skinnier than you already are, but I'm here to tell you that you don't. You are beautiful how you are and that extra taco will be worth it. Eat the whole meal so you can make it through dance class without getting exhausted (in the non-healthy way of course). You are hungry, I know you are because I'm you. So do yourself a favor and eat it. You know you want to.

3. Be who you want to be.
I know you are going through high school as the "innocent church girl" but you and I both know that's not who you truly are. Yes, you have a faith and you believe in God whole-heartedly. But that doesn't mean you can't speak your mind or make mistakes. You are still human, hun. Be exactly who you are because that's how God made you and you will discover your true friends.

4. Life is tough. You are tougher. 
Things are looking pretty grim for you right now. I know. I was there. But I...we survived it. We pushed through the struggle and made it out alive. Just keep your head up, keep yourself busy with school, work, and dance. Those things will give you the distraction you need to keep yourself from dwelling on things too much. How each situation affects you is ultimately up to you. You can choose to let it make you suffer, or you can choose to learn from it and become even tougher. I suggest taking the second option because you have some majorly tough life events heading your way that you need the strength for.

5.  Friends will come and go, and that's okay. No matter what it will happen in some way. Some will change their minds on being your friend, and that's okay. Life will go on to better things. Some will move away and lose touch, and that's okay. You will meet new people and so will they. Some will still be near but lose touch, and that's okay. Life gets busy as you get older. Don't fret losing touch with those you thought would be around your whole life because you are going to go on to do so many wonderful things you never even dreamed of. Hang in there!

 6. Boys will come and go, and that's okay. You will have a few long lasting relationships, and you will get your heartbroken two too many times. It will hurt, but you'll grow closer to finding exactly who and what you need in a relationship. Take time for yourself to learn about how you function and how you communicate. Learn how to make that known to a significant other. You are in no rush. Be patient.

Two of my many wonderful grandparents (:
7. Talk to your grandparents.  You don't realize it yet, but you are going to need all of your grandparents in your life for different reasons. You also don't realize just how lucky you are to still have all of your grandparents alive. There will be many friends in college who have lost or are losing their grandparents while you get to keep yours. Embrace that. Take advantage of the time you have with them. Text them randomly to let them know you are okay and you love them. Call them to see how their week is going. Keep them updated on your life because they actually do care about what you are doing. They want to see you succeed, so let them know when you do. Just talk to them.

8. Talk to your parents. I know things are hard for you mentally right now and you feel like they won't understand. But they will and they do. They've been through some of the same stuff before. They know you don't have the easiest life sometimes. They want to be there for you and help guide you through whatever is happening. They also won't be around forever. So let them talk to you, and let yourself talk to them. They love you. 

9. It's okay to fail sometimes. There's no other way to learn how to improve if you don't fail first. Failing is the way you become successful, and it's a totally normal human thing to do. No one will judge you for it, and if they do then they don't need to be in your life. Embrace every failure as an opportunity to grow. It's okay.

10. Love yourself.  Believe it or not, you are an amazing person! You are strong, capable of surviving anything life throws your way. You are the perfect amount of independent and dependent. You have a pretty great head on your shoulders and know right from wrong. You're intelligent, no matter what math class has you struggling. You are passionate about following your heart and making dreams come true (no matter how long it will take to do so). You are talented at a lot of different things. You played the violin for five years, have been singing and dancing your whole life, play piano fairly well, and are a pretty awesome writer. You are beautiful because you are the perfect combination of Mom and Dad. You are beautiful because you have one of the biggest hearts around. You are beautiful because you are who you are. So love yourself, okay?

Until next time, 

post signature

1 comment:

Lynn Bigelow said...

You are an astute young woman.