Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Unplug and Re-Prioritize

Hey everyone! I'm back! I don't know how regularly I will be posting, but I know that I want to be writing again. So, I'm going to give it my best effort.

I have decided that my life has become extremely stressful and demanding, and it is time to change that. I have allowed myself to get consumed with my "To-Do" list and let it run my life. I did this to avoid getting wrapped up in emotions I will never be ready to deal with, but it's time to let myself be happier again.

I am a part of the National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS), and we regularly have speaker broadcasts of highly successful people in the world who share their stories. Recently, we had Arianna Huffington, the founder of the Huffington Post, speak to us. She made some fantastic points about how we need to unplug from technology to really experience life. She inspired me to take my "To-Do" list and evaluate it, eliminate the unnecessary things that will truly never happen, and focus on the ones that will.

It's from these two points Huffington made that I have found one source of my stress. I keep adding items to my "To-Do" list whether or not they are necessary, and I am always plugged into technology; more so, I am plugged into social media.

Therefore, I have decided to take a step back and reevaluate how I am spending my time. I have already deleted the unnecessary social media on my phone that I never used or truly have no use for anymore. These apps included: Instagram, Twitter, Kik, Flipgram, Timehop, and YouTube. I have spent so much time scrolling through these apps looking at everyone else's lives or my life from the past that I have not paid as much attention to my life right now. So, those apps are now gone.

Note: I kept Facebook because I am able to keep in touch with my family and friends who are far away from me, and I kept Pinterest because that is the app that gives me ideas and inspiration for my daily life.

In addition to this social media cleanse, I have stepped back and taken a look at my priorities. They have been mostly in tact my entire life. I haven't seen many faults of where my focus has been. I know the things that are important to me, and I know what I want to do in life. I have decided to look at what I am doing and getting rid of anything that isn't beneficial to my future or my happiness. Basically, if it isn't helping me in any way, then it's out of my life. That includes those people who aren't true friends and don't make an effort to be in my life. However, I now need to make a huge decision personally. Which things that I want to have in my life, that could actually be helping me but aren't totally necessary, need to be eliminated?

My top priorities include: College, becoming a publisher/editor, friends/family/relationship, music, and my happiness.

However, I have a priority that I don't know if I get to keep anymore: dance. I am not sure if I will ever be able to afford to dance again. Dance has always been a huge part of my life and has always been a dream of mine. I want to dance again; I want to teach dance again in the future. Right now, it doesn't seem to fit into my life like I want it to. I haven't danced in way too long. Is it one of those priorities that I need to cut from my list? I don't want to at all, but I wonder if I do then will it have room to come back into my life later? This is one priority that I will have to think on for quite a while.

Well, for now, I will have to think about it. We will see what happens in the future.

That's all for now. I'm already feeling very good about these decisions.

Until next time,
Kay


No comments: