Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Aunt Carmen

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Therefore, I am wearing a pink hair extension in my hair for the whole month. I am honoring all those who we have lost to the dreadful disease. Of course, I remember all those we have lost to all forms of cancer. Cancer plays too big of a role in my family history for me to not.

The one that sticks out in my mind is my dear Aunt Carmen. She lost her battle, and the world lost a beautiful soul. Aunt Carmen was always a bright shining face at every family gathering. When I was really little I would call her Aunt Carmel. I don't know why, but that's what I did. I wish I had more memories with her, but all of the little ones I do remember were nothing but good ones.

My cousin, Sue, has many memories of Aunt Carmen. Sue loved how Aunt Carmen would always smile and be super sweet all the time. It's hard to pin point one specific memory, because we only saw her on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Sue loved that Aunt Carmen had red hair when the rest of the family had blonde or brown hair. The red worked so well for her.

I wish I had more memories to share. She was always such a joy to be around. She had a way of making you feel extra special to her. I miss her greatly, and I wish I would've paid more attention to her as a child. Same way I wish I would've paid more attention to all of my relatives when I was younger.

Anyway, take a moment to reflect on those you've lost and those who are still battling. Let those people know how much you love and care about them. You never know when they will be taken away. To all of my family and friends still putting up a fight, hang in there. You are loved, and you are still needed on this Earth.

Until next time,
Kay

No comments: