Thursday, September 11, 2014

September 11, 2001

Today is a tragic day in our American history. Thirteen years ago today, we were attacked as a nation. We lost too many citizens that day. Too many emergency responders, firefighters, police officers, and more. Today is a day that united our nation in grief and fear. So today, as you continue your everyday life, I encourage you to take a moment of silence to simply remember. Remember what happened that day. Remember how you were affected. Remember where you were when it happened, when you found out. Remeber, and never forget 9/11.

I was in 2nd grade. Still an innocent, naiive child. I didn't fully understand what had happened. Our teacher was told to "Quick! Turn on the news!" 

Why? The news is boring. I remember thinking to myself. She flipped on the TV, didn't have to pick the right channel. It was all over the news. Live footage. One tall building had collapsed in New York. Why did that building fall? What is so upsetting about it? Our principle told all the teachers not to let us watch it. She flipped it off. We went about our normal second grade day.

At the end of the day I went home.
I walk in, I see my dad and a friend in the living room with the same footage on. Only now it was a little different. Two tall buildings had fallen. Why? I sat down next to my dad and I watched. I listened. I saw the people of New York trying to outrun the all-consuming black cloud of debris. I saw the first plane hit, then the second. Then a third crashed into the Pentagon. Then a fourth in a field in Pennsylvania. Why are these planes falling? Why? 

I saw news reporters trying to get as close as they could without endangering themselves. I saw phone recordings of the tragedy. I saw bodies plummetting down from too high up.

The news people kept saying it was a terrorist attack. What is a terrorist? I was clueless back then. But I knew it was bad. I knew it was a terribly sad thing that would bring great depression across our country. 

That is my story of where I was, how I found out, and how I remember it. Obviously, I have learned of all the details now that I am older and have gone through quite a few history classes. I've seen almost every documentary about the 9/11 attacks on every 9/11 anniversary. It was a tragic day that untied our nation in grief and fear.

Again, take the time today to remember.

Never forget.

Until next time,
Kay

Photo curtesy of www.politcalears.com

No comments: