Monday, September 22, 2014

Once a Dancer Always a Dancer

You know you're a dancer in college when...

You do barre in your dorm room.
The bunk beds become a barre, as well as the fridge combined with your desk. Spotify supplies the best versions of classical music to stretch and dance to. Carpet is not a sufficient floor to dance on, but you do it anyway. You make do with what you have.

You get weird looks when you crack your entire body.
Waking up in the morning and doing a grande plie makes your roommate think you just broke yourself. When you need to crack your back or hips in front of your friends, and they just stare at you wide eyed. Then they ask if that hurt. This is totally normal okay, I'm just not around my dance friends to get a congratulations on my cracking.

You point your toes during class.
Sitting in your desk listening to the world's longest lecture, your slide your sandals or moccasins off and start pointing your toes unintentionally. Besides, you gotta make sure you don't lose that arch while you're dying a slow boring death in this class.

You join as many dance clubs and classes as possible.
Then you end up becoming an assistant in those clubs and classes to teach those people who have never danced a second in their life. All you wanted was to keep growing as a dancer. 

You correct everyone who says anything slightly wrong about dance.
"Spin like a ballerina!" That'd be a cool trick because dancers don't spin, we TURN. Big difference. 
"1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10" Wrong. 5-6-7-8-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 You can't start at 1 unless you're working on that particular section of the 8 count. Just saying.

You get concerned for anyone's muscles as they leave the gym in shorts on a cold morning. 
Please put pants on! That was the one huge lesson I learned from dancing all my life. Keep your muscles warm after you work out. Don't shock them and ruin all the effort you just put in. Take care of your muscles!

You watch old recital DVDs and Youtube videos when you're going through withdraws.
Let's be honest, I've done this many times. I go through withdraws all the time. A quick clip from a past recital or combination posted on youtube will suffice for now. At least for the next day or two.

I've done all of these so far this semester. I am forever a dancer, there is no getting that out of me. I'm just glad I brought my pointe shoes and my jazz shoes. I miss my ballet, tap, and hiphop shoes though. I miss my leotards and tights. I miss my dance family like you wouldn't believe. I keep a picture of them close by on my desk. I miss my students so incredibly much! That was the most rewarding job I've ever had. Teaching those young dancers the joy and passion that comes along with the steps being taught. Is it time to go back to that yet?
 
Until next time,
Kay

No comments: