Thursday, August 21, 2014

Bucket List


Most everyone has some sort of a bucket list (things they want to accomplish before leaving this world).  I have two. One is a list of things I want to accomplish on my own, and the other is a list of things I want to accomplish with my significant other, Fred. Today's post will be the start to my personal bucket list. I say "the start" because this is me we're talking about. I tend to have a lot of random thoughts that pop in to my mind; my bucket list could change even more just as I'm writing this post! However, I will limit myself to only five items on my list, simply because I could write for ages without some sort of limit. So, without further ado, here are five items on my personal bucket list.

1. Earn my master's degree.
 Not to sound overly confident, but I already know I will graduate with my Bachelor's degree in Professional Writing. That I have never had a doubt about. I am a hard working student, and I don't remember ever having below a 3.5 GPA. Therefore, I'm not worried about graduating with my Bachelor's. It's the moving forward into graduate school and getting my Master's in Professional Writing that will require a lot more work and effort. That is something I've wanted since I learned what a Master's degree was. No matter what profession I thought I wanted at the time, I always knew I wanted to get my Master's. 

2. Travel internationally.

I had never left the Midwest until my senior year in high school. I took a train to Colorado with my youth group; I had never seen anything more beautiful than those mountains outside my room window. In February of my senior year, my family went to Disney World in Florida. That trip was the first time I had ever set foot on a plane. Seeing the world so small below me was stunning! That is something I want to experience again, but next time I want to travel across the sea. I want to go to Ireland, China, Greece, Spain, London, Paris, Australia, etc. I want to see all the beautiful places I've only seen in pictures.

3. Get married.



As cliche as it is to have marriage on a bucket list, it's true. I want to get married at some point before I die, even if that means waiting until I'm 50 years old or older. I don't want to go through life alone, even though I will be able to. Also, I want to get married once and only once in my life. I have witnessed too many divorces to ever be okay with it. I will never marry someone if I don't believe it is the real thing and will last a lifetime. I strongly believe in getting married forever. Divorce will not be in my vocabulary; we will work through all of our problems and get through them together. The person I marry will be my best friend and partner in crime.

4. Have a successful career.
While I may still be figuring out exactly what career path I would like, I have an idea of what I want to be able to do because of said career. Whether it's editing, publishing, or something I may not even be thinking of just yet, I want to be able to dress in business attire. I would love to be that classic heels and pant suit wearing, working her way to the top of an office career type of woman. I know I could pull it off well. However, I don't want to live in the big city that I would have to work in. I would want to live in the country side just outside of the big city. I think it would tons of fun to be a magazine editor, or a book editor, or some awesome job I haven't thought of yet.  

5. Never stop dancing, singing, and making music.
I have been dancing my entire life; dance is a part of who I am. It is the perfect combination of exercise and expressing my emotions. Dance has been my escape from my complicated past for as long as I can remember. I have met the most amazing friends who have become like family to me from the dance studio that became my home away from home. Teaching dance was also one of the most rewarding times of my life. I fully intend on becoming that dance teacher again as soon as I settle down in one place. I miss my students like you wouldn't believe; they made me so proud and so happy to watch them grow over the years. I hope I never lose this part of myself.

I have also been singing my entire life; it's another part of who I am. Singing allows me to vocalize emotions that I just can't find the words for. I absolutely love the choirs I am a part of in college. They are becoming my new choir family. A huge part of that comes from the fantastic directors and accompanists involved with the choirs. They all know who they are. Without their dedication and passion for choral music, I wouldn't have the fun hour of music in my day that I do. Without the directors and accompanists, my first year of college would not have been nearly as fun, musical, and successful. A big thank you to them. These choirs also keep me on track of never losing my singing portion of myself.

Along with both the dance and singing sides of myself, music in general is a huge part of who I am today. I took violin lessons for five years. I still play occasionally to this day. I am no where near good enough to play in front of people, but I'm working on it! In addition to the violin, I am teaching myself to play the piano. I'm not half bad, but I'm no Beethoven. I would also like to learn to play the acoustic guitar. There is something so beautifully raw about an acoustic sound. I would love to be able to play a ton of instruments. I never want to lose my musical side.


There ya have it folks. Only five of the items on my bucket list, but they are some of my most important items. Maybe someday I'll do another blog on another five items. Thanks for reading!

Until next time,
Kay

No comments: