Friday, August 22, 2014

Momma

Momma, I'm callin' from the big town.
There's this summer rain fallin' down,
An' I've been thinkin' 'bout back home.
Chasin'? Yeah, I'm still chasin' my dreams.
Realisin', in between,
There's a lonely long stretch of road.

An' I'm learnin' more each an' every day,
Found the truth in the words, you'd always say.
An' I found a little church where I like to pray,
An' I thank God for you, it's true.
An' I know I'll always be your little girl,
But I sure thought I was ready for this world,
But, I guess that we were both right about a thing or two.
I'm a full-grown woman with some growin' up to do.
                                  -Full Grown Woman, Sarah Buxton

This song holds a special place in my heart. You see, I don't get to see my momma very often. She lives about seven or eight hours south of where I live. I see her once a year, if I'm lucky enough. I wish we could be around each other more often, but I understand that that's how life goes sometimes. You don't get to see your loved ones as often as you would like. However, just because she is not here with me every day, does not mean she is not thought of each day. There are times in a day when I'll realize I look just like her, or I say something she would say. I find myself growing up to be like Momma a little more each day.

I have been singing those lyrics with my Momma for as long as I can remember, but I've never noticed just how true they are. I grew up quicker than she wanted, but Lord knows I still have a lot more to learn about this world.

It's because of her that I am who I am today. I have learned how to stay strong when all I want to do is fall apart. I have learned how to take care of myself as well as others. I have learned to be selfless when it comes to helping those who are in need. Momma has taught me to follow my dreams no matter what is in the way. She has always encouraged my creative side. She supported my singing by taking me out to do Karaoke when I'd come visit her on weekends. She supported my dancing by doing her best to make it to recitals. Momma has always been a fantastic support system, even though she wasn't always physically around.

She is too hard on herself about not always being able to be here for big events in my life. I want her to know that just because she couldn't physically be there for me for school dances or my first heartbreak doesn't mean she wasn't with me in my heart. Same goes for the future, just because she won't always be around for major events I'm going through doesn't mean she won't be with me. All I care about, is that she is still alive and still supporting my choices in life.

We may disagree on a few things, get on each others nerves from time to time, but she will always be my mom. I love her with all of my heart, and nothing could ever change that.

Until next time,
Kay

No comments: