Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Newest Chapter in my Life

Note: For the sake of confidentiality I have changed the names of anyone mentioned in my writings.

It's the first night in the blog world, and I am ecstatic! Lately, I have been telling myself I don't write enough for a Professional Writing major (Creative Writing minor). On top of all the essays, research papers, entries to the poetry contest, and free writings I do, I feel like a blog will help me relieve stress in a way. Writing and maintaining a blog will help me keep my life events straight, allow me to vent, and provide practice and growth to my writing abilities. 

My life is not a simple one. I like to think it is at times, but I know it is far from simplicity. I wouldn't know where to begin to describe the complex nature of my life without starting almost 21 years ago when I was born. As the saying goes, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" 

So, let's start with the most recent life event. My family has just moved into a new house (just this past weekend), and we are still loaded down with box after box after box. Trying to get it all unpacked and organized is a hard task, especially with this family. Hold that thought.

You see, there is more to my family than me and my parents. Between my mom and dad there are three kids: my oldest brother, Ben (24, in the Army and just recently married to his beautiful bride Abby), and my second oldest brother, Will (22, and on the road to getting his life back on track). My dad is remarried to my step-mom, Anne, who had my step-sister, Grace (19 and a sophomore in college). Between my dad and step-mom there are two more kids: my half-brother John (five, and turning six soon, starting kindergarten this year), and my half-brother Dan (one and a half, and getting bigger and bigger every day). So, all together that's five siblings and three parents for my not-so-simple life.
My little brother, John, and I drew our family. (All of his family, part of mine)

Resume thought. Unpacking a house with two parents, two kids, and two college girls living here part-time, it can get a little messy. It usually ends up with me chasing Dan around the house keeping him entertained, John trying to help unpack but getting in the way, and the four adults (Grace and myself included) getting frustrated with all the stuff we accumulated over the years. It never ceases to amaze me how much, for lack of a better word, crap one person can collect. Then you multiply that by six people, and you've got six times the crap to unpack! 

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the new house and all the memories to come here. I love change, too. However, the work that comes with it can be a bit tiresome. Especially when I am babysitting my little brothers every morning/day, and then working at a local restaurant at night. Every. Single. Day. The only thing that gets me through the 14 hour days is knowing that I will be receiving a nice size pay check at the end of the summer. That pay check will be used to get me through the fall semester. School has always been and always will be my main priority. I want to continue my education and become the best version of myself I can be. I want to do more with my life than this town can offer. I intend on doing so.

Thanks for reading my gibberish of the night! This was fun, and definitely helpful! 

Until next time,
Kay

No comments: